Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The "Conversation" Quote of the Day

"Years ago, some of these same issues drove my father to sit down with me to have a conversation -- which is no doubt familiar to many of you -- about how as a young black man I should interact with the police, what to say, and how to conduct myself if I was ever stopped or confronted in a way I thought was unwarranted. I'm sure my father felt certain -- at the time -- that my parents' generation would be the last that had to worry about such things for their children....Trayvon's death last spring caused me to sit down to have a conversation with my own 15 year old son, like my dad did with me. This was a father-son tradition I hoped would not need to be handed down." -- Attorney General Eric Holder, speaking to the NAACP National Convention, describing the conversation that black parents are forced to have with their children to protect them from racial profiling and violence.

No comments: