David Anderson has some helpful advice for the Affordable Care Act Open Enrollment Period:
The ACA Open Enrollment Period (OEP) starts tomorrow for Healthcare.gov and most of the state based marketplaces. Idaho allowed shopping earlier in October. During OEP you can switch plans for any reason. You can buy a plan for any reason.
Here are a few things to remember:
- Health insurance is complicated and complex so go get help
- Navigators are government funded helpers who can’t make a specific recommendation but can help reduce complexity
- Agents and brokers can make specific recommendations but they work on commission/premium while they are only required to give good advice not optimal advice.
- Take your time
- Open Enrollment goes through at least December 15th for all markets and through January 15 for Healthcare.gov
- Be ready to accept good enough instead of perfect.
- Look around and actively choose
healthcare.gov is the secure portal to begin with should you want to switch plans or buy a new plan, or just want to compare plans or need more information.