Thursday, March 19, 2015

I Was Homeless, And You Drenched Me


News item:  St. Mary's Cathedral in San Francisco installed a watering system last year to discourage homeless people from sleeping near its doorways.  The watering system (which is now being removed by order of the City of San Francisco in violation of codes) sprayed water on loiterers for more than a minute every 30-60 minutes every night. The Archdiocese's leaders were apparently unfamiliar with this and other similar texts in something called the "New Testament":
"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me."
Perhaps a call from Pope Francis would be instructive.

No comments: