Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Mid-Week Tribute Songs


The Eagles' lead vocalist, guitarist and composer Glenn Frey left behind a legacy of iconic country rock/country pop songs when he passed away at age 67 on Monday. As a founding member of The Eagles, Frey saw his band sell over 120 million albums over a 30-plus year time span, making them the most successful American band of their era. The song that kicked off their success, "Take It Easy," was released in 1972, co-written by Frey and Jackson Browne, sung by Frey, and containing these memorable lyrics:
Well, I'm a-standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
Such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me


"Peaceful Easy Feeling" was another hit of theirs released in 1972, again with Frey on vocals, and with a more laid back tune and very lovely lyrics, like:
I like the way your sparkling earrings lay,
Against your skin, it's so brown.
And I wanna sleep with you in the desert tonight
With a billion stars all around.

'Cause I got a peaceful easy feeling,
And I know you won't let me down
'cause I'm already standing on the ground.


RIP.

No comments: