Saturday, October 6, 2018

Deborah Ramirez' Statement On Kavanaugh Confirmation Vote


A powerful response by Brett "KavaNut" Kavanaugh victim Deborah Ramirez to Republican Senators "deliberately ignoring his behavior:"
Thirty-five years ago, the other students in the room chose to laugh and look the other way as sexual violence was perpetrated on me by Brett Kavanaugh.  As I watch many of the Senators speak and vote on the floor of the Senate I feel like I’m right back at Yale where half the room is laughing and looking the other way. Only this time, instead of drunk college kids, it is US Senators who are deliberately ignoring his behavior.  This is how victims are isolated and silenced. 
But I do have corroborating witnesses speaking for me, although they were not allowed to speak to the FBI, and I feel extremely grateful for them and for the overwhelming amount of support that I have received and continue to receive during this difficult and painful time.  There may be people with power who are looking the other way, but there are millions more who are standing together, speaking up about personal experiences of sexual violence and taking action to support survivors. This is truly a collective moment of survivors and allies standing together.
Thank you for hearing me, seeing me and believing me. I am grateful for each and every one of you.  We will not be silenced. 
We stand in truth and light, 
Deborah Ramirez 
(pronouns she, her, hers)
We won't be silenced, and this is not over.

2 comments:

donnah said...

Republicans believe this is settled business since they're seating their Judge, but this is only the beginning. Kavanaugh is the new lightningrod for human and women's rights and the legal assault on his new position is just getting started. All of the people who were ignored by the FBI and Republicans in charge are going to be lining up to tell their stories and corroborate Dr. Ford's.

Tick tock, Kavanaugh.

W. Hackwhacker said...

donnah - exactly so!