Saturday, December 1, 2018

Former President George H.W. Bush Dies


Former President George H.W. Bush died last night at the age of 94. He was preceded in death by his wife Barbara earlier this year and by his daughter Robin in 1953.

The key elements of his biography are well- known to most: son of a wealthy Senator, WWII Naval aviator, Yale graduate, oil drilling executive, Congressman from Texas, Ambassador to the U.N., Ambassador to China, CIA Director, Vice President, 41st President and volunteer and goodwill relief efforts post- presidency.  You can read an unvarnished look at his life and career here.  President and Mrs. Obama's statement is here, and Minority Leader (for now) Nancy Pelosi's here.

Many are remembering the letter Bush left in the Oval Office for the man who defeated him, incoming President Bill Clinton, and the grace it displayed.  Here's the text of that letter:
Dear Bill,
When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that, too. 
I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described. 
There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I’m not a very good one to give advice; but just don’t let the critics discourage you or push you off course. 
You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well. 
Your success now is our country’s success. I am rooting hard for you. 
Good luck— 
George

We'll leave it at that. R.I.P.

No comments: