Friday, February 22, 2019

Weekend Birthday Musical Twofer


Late, great Beatle George Harrison would have celebrated his 76th birthday on February 25, so we want to feature two songs from his songwriting catalog today.  Previously unreleased "Poor Little Girl" is from his "Best of Dark Horse" compilation album, released in 1989 on his Dark Horse label, and includes Jeff Lynne (ELO, Traveling Wilburys) playing bass and keyboards.  "I Need You," of course, is from the Beatle's "Help!" album, and features him on both 12- string and acoustic guitars as well as lead vocal.  It was one of the earliest Harrison compositions featured on a Beatles album and let the world know there was another songwriting genius in the band.  Hope you enjoy.



5 comments:

donnah said...

I was expecting the Monkees, since we just lost Peter Tork. My husband was a huge fan of the Monkees when he was a kid, and still has a soft spot for them in his heart.

FelineMama said...

Thank You, Guys for this tribute. As I finish up my first box of tissues. I don't know if you have ever seen that G.Harrison tribute of his "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" video with Tom Petty, S Winwood, PRINCE & Dhani Harrison, but, if you loved Mr. Harrison & All these guys, it is a MUST VIEW!! This was my favorite G.H song next to "Something". Now, if you excuse me, I need to grab another box of tissues & watch said video. I have it bookmarked, it is Always available. sniff......

W. Hackwhacker said...

donnah -- sorry to disappoint!

FM -- I'll have to check that video out; it rings a familiar bell.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Peter Tork, but I'll take George Harrison any day. He was an amazing musician and human being.

donnah said...

Kids, I didn't say this wasn't a great choice, I just said I was expecting the Monkees 'cause Peter died! :-)