Friday, May 31, 2019

Trump Threatens Tariffs On Mexico


Extremely Stable Genius Donald "Not Exonerated" Trump once again takes dead aim at his foot:
Trump announced Thursday his intentions to levy 5 percent tariffs on Mexican imports starting June 10, penance for what he sees as a failure to stop the flow of Central American migrants through the southern border. With every month that passes without action from Mexico, the tariff would jump in 5 percent increments until they hit 25 percent on Oct. 1, according to a White House statement. They’d stay at that threshold until Mexico substantially stops the inflow of illegal immigration, the statement said.
Needless to say this has some otherwise compliant and complicit Republicans howling about the harm this would do to the farmers in their states.  But it would also gravely impact the auto and other manufacturing industries and derail Trump's own tweaked version of NAFTA, the USMCA.  And the US and European stock markets and business community reacted negatively to the news that, once again, the Extremely Stable Genius was playing chicken with the world economy.

Well, as they say, when you elect a clown, expect a circus.

BONUS




BONUS IIAnd dolts like this are standing with him even at the expense of their livelihood.  Clearly, it's not a case of "economic anxiety."

5 comments:

donnah said...

Idiots who believe American consumers won't feel the effects of tariffs can kiss my fanny. I am a fiber artist who travels across the country as a teacher. I make a small amount of money and it's fine because I love what I do. But I'm already seeing negative effects of tariffs. My fabric dye order was delivered last week with a note that future orders will cost more because their dye supplier is now being penalized by tariff. I also will see increases in other supplies that I get through companies in California and New York who have Chinese suppliers.

As a very minor-scale business owner, I'm going to see prices go up across the board. This sorry excuse of a president continues, through tax breaks for the rich and tariffs on goods from foreign companies, to penalize his own citizens with no regard for our jobs.

W. Hackwhacker said...

donnah -- thanks for sharing how this is likely going to affect your business. We hope any damage is slight and not long- lasting.

That blundering buffoon is determined to wreck everything he can, isn't he?!

donnah said...

Thanks. My small potatoes issues don't carry much weight, and farmers, clothing and shoe companies, and auto companies all have their lives and livelihoods at stake, but it all comes down to the American people losing so much at the hands of this terrible president.

donnah said...

Anyway, I make wool hooked art rugs. I have written a couple of books about it and as I said, I teach all over the country. Here's a link to one rug I finished last year and will be donating to our downtown public library.

https://i.imgur.com/W3NPifB.jpg

And one in progress:

https://imgur.com/gallery/lbQidiN

W. Hackwhacker said...

donnah -- Thank you! Very very nice!