Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Mid-Week Song: The Highwomen


We depart a little from our usual genres to feature the artistry of country music's The Highwomen. Made up of solo stars Amanda Shires, Brandi Carlile, Maren Morris, and Natalie Hemby, the group formed earlier this year with a desire to combine their individual musical experiences, which range from country to blue grass to folk roots. Their name is a nod to The Highwaymen super group of Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, and Johnny Cash. Their newly released album, "The Highwomen," is an eclectic mix of their styles and talents. Here's the title track from their album. Enjoy.
"I was a freedom rider
When we thought the South had won
Virginia in the spring of '61
I sat down on the Greyhound that was bound for Mississippi
My mother asked me if that ride was worth my life
And when the shots rang out I never heard the sound
But I am still around"

No comments: