Sunday, January 19, 2020

Sunday Reflection: Blank Canvas




"It's so fine and yet so terrible to stand in front of a blank canvas." -- French artist Paul Cézanne, born on this day in 1839, reflecting on his emotions in starting a painting, as we all might in beginning a new project/relationship/adventure with an uncertain outcome.

As a "post-Impressionist," Cézanne inspired artists like Matisse and Picasso, and bridged the Impressionist and Cubist eras of painting. One of the giants in art.

2 comments:

donnah said...

As an artist (definitely not comparing myself to Cezanne) I know the mixed emotions of starting a new piece. I am always excited to do so, yet I feel insecure about it. What if I fail to create the image I want, or if it turns out to be more difficult than I expected? Will I be able to match or surpass my previous work? It's daunting, to say the least.

But most people probably experience the same doubts or mixed feelings about starting something new. Writers often are intimidated by the blank page, and designers of all types face new projects with excitement but trepidation. It may seem that artists have it easy, but we don't. We cannot rely on our muses to carry us along. There is much hard work and anticipation along the way.

Hackwhackers said...

donnah -- Really well said. It's nice to have your perspective as an artist beginning a new piece of art.