Saturday, April 18, 2020

Learning From Hermits: Practicing Solitude


Historically, hermits (from the Greek word erēmia, meaning desert) chose to be apart from society, going against the grain of human biology, which has us programmed to be social animals. Now, with widespread, worldwide social distancing in place to combat the COVID-19 pandemic, we're experiencing a mild form of a hermit's existence, although social media and communication have mitigated the "aloneness" feature to a great degree. We, personally, FaceTime and text with family regularly, for example, and find the ability to connect with them a relief, but no substitute for being with them.

In an interesting article by BBC's Hepzibah Anderson, she explores the various modes of solitude, from religious monks who have chosen that path, to individuals who have "unplugged" from the chaos of modern life and found solace in rural life. Some observations in the article:
[L]oneliness” is a word that rarely appears at all in English before about 1800. That’s in part due to the cramped intergenerational lifestyles that people were forced to lead. Living alone, as so many of us now do, would have been almost unheard of.
Not that being alone is synonymous with loneliness. If we confuse the two, it’s probably because we live in a society in which being on your own continues to be used as a punishment, from toddler time-outs to solitary confinement. Yet as anyone who’s ever walked into a sea of unfamiliar faces at a crowded party knows, there is a difference between feeling alone and being alone. [snip] 
The creative benefits to be had from time spent alone are ample. Greek philosopher Plato, who’s known as the first poet of solitude, insisted that he needed it to think. Making ‘The Case for Hermits’ in his 1935 essay, English writer GK Chesterton was blunter: 'If men do not have Solitude, they go mad,' he declared. Not for nothing did Virginia Woolf fantasise about that room of her own and poet William Wordsworth declare solitude 'bliss'”.  (our emphasis)
The whole article is worth the read. So, while it's clearly not the way most of us want to continue to live, we might find this "alone" period one in which we get better acquainted with ourselves, renew dormant friendships, find creative outlets for our energy, help the heroes, and hopefully emerge healthy and the better for it.

2 comments:

donnah said...

I'm an artist. I design and create hooked wool fine art rugs. Because rug hooking is a little-known art, I can just barely make a living at it by teaching workshops all over the country. I dye my own wool, teach techniques, and hook. That's my job and my passion.

So far, six of my workshops have canceled. It's my main income and so I'm worried about losing that. I did have a small amount of savings, and my husband is working from home for his job, so we should be okay for a while.

And so for me, this forced time at home is fabulous. I do still have to spend time looking after our two elderly moms, but mostly I'm home. And while with my regular schedule I would have struggled to get my current project finished, I can now spend time and energy on it. It's really important to me to use this time well and wisely.

And for those who don't have a hobby, find one! There are so many ways to be creative and it makes time go by quickly. And you might make something cool!

Hackwhackers said...

donnah -- That's wonderful advice. This can be a time of personal renewal and discovering hidden talents. It's admirable that you are involved in a little-known art, and are able to pass knowledge of the art along by teaching it. Bravo!