Thursday, December 31, 2020

Like Father, Like...Never Mind

News Item: Who'd a thunk it? British Prime Minister Boris Johnson's father applies for French citizenship.

"Stanley Johnson, a former member of the European Parliament who voted Remain in Britain’s 2016 referendum, told RTL radio he wanted to become a French citizen because of strong family links to France.

'If I understand it correctly, I am French. My mother was born in France, her mother was totally French as was her grandfather. So for me it is about reclaiming what I already have. And that makes me very happy,' said the 80-year-old Johnson, who was speaking in French.

'I will always be a European, that’s for sure. One cannot tell the British people: you are not Europeans. Having a tie with the European Union is important,' he added."

The UK just completed its Brexit deal with the European Union, concluding years of difficult negotiations. Prime Minister Johnson led the "Leave" movement to separate the UK from the European Union after 48 years of membership.

No comments: