Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Tonight's COVID Memorial Illumination


Here are some screenshots of the Mall, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial and Capitol following the memorial for the 400,000 -- and growing -- American victims of the COVID-19 pandemic, which was led by President- elect Biden and Vice President- elect Harris.  The golden sunset, the alabaster Capitol, the 400 glowing markers along the reflecting pool -- all combining to make a moving, national moment of remembrance of the lives lost.




(Bottom photo: Jim Watson/AFP/GettyImages)

Watch:
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched it on my tv machine, like however many more citizens who think of themselves as sentient citizens of the United States must've watched it. Or if they hadn't watched it 'live,' then will on their 6 o'clock news or should've.

I cried. Tears coursed forth when Lori Marie Key sang. Not because I lived in Livonia when I was a kid, not because she's a (HEROIC!!!) nurse (and I'd worked in medicine for years), and not because I'm religious in any organized way. I cried because it --and everything else before and after her singing-- was beautiful. I want that Lady to be awarded every laudatory Medal Joe or Kamala or Congress or anybody who's a human being can award.

Aspects of The Horror will probably continue, but for the first time in years I feel some of The Horror is finally coming to a close.

W. Hackwhacker said...

anon -- we share your emotions and cautious sense of hope.

Rocky D said...

There was crying in our house too. We know there's "stuff" ahead but the sense of relief at having decent & competent people taking over is enormous. I think of the lyrics by Joni Mitchell, "you don't know what you've got til it's gone." It was almost gone but now we join you in hope.

W. Hackwhacker said...

Rocky -- thank you so much!