Thursday, April 22, 2021

QOTD -- DC Statehood And Republican Racism

 

"I have had enough of my colleagues' racist insinuations that somehow the people of Washington, D.C., are incapable or even unworthy of our democracy. One Senate Republican said that D.C. wouldn't be a -- quote -- well-rounded, working-class state. I had no idea there were so many syllables in the word 'white.'

"One of my House Republican colleagues said that D.C. shouldn't be a state because the District doesn't have a landfill! My goodness, with all the racist trash my colleagues have brought to this debate, I can see why they're worried about having a place to put it.

"The truth is that there is no good faith argument for disenfranchising over 700,000 people, Mr. Speaker, most of whom are people of color."  -- Rep. Mondaire Jones (D-NY) , speaking on behalf of the DC Statehood bill (which passed in a party line vote 216-208), shortly before being interrupted by faux offended Republican racists demanding his remarks be struck (which Rep. Jones subsequently agreed to, having made his point).

No comments: