Friday, August 27, 2021

Wingnut Larry Elder's Confession



 

Thanks to Media Matters, we have an important admission from hate radio's extremist Larry Elder,  the current Trumpist Republican front runner in the farcical campaign to recall California Gov. Gavin Newsom. Here's Elder on February 4 of this year momentarily being truthful:

"Most recently, somebody that you know quite well has approached me and I said I subscribe to the Walter Cronkite philosophy, I'd love to serve. I hate to have to run. I just don't believe I have the stomach, the temperament. the personality, the drive, the willingness to deal with these doofi in Sacramento for the next several years of my life. Have I exhausted all of my excuses yet? Anyway, thank you very much for that. That's very flattering. But no, I'm not going to I'm not going to run. I would miss being on the radio as well."  (our emphasis)

The "temperament" he's referring to might include his volatility and misogyny. We noted recently that Elder's former fiancee, herself a former sex worker, accused Elder of threatening her with a gun during an argument when she said that he was stoned on weed ("just say 'no' Larry!") He's currently fending off charges that he is a misogynist with a long history of public statements disparaging women. 

There's an outside -- but real -- chance that Elder may squeak by due to California's absurd recall rules. He'd be a disaster in that job, trying to eliminate all of the progressive gains in a generation. Even more ominous, if he's in the Governor's seat should Sen. Dianne Feinstein retire, or worse, he'll appoint a Republican with his same warped views and change the balance of the Senate. The recall, which would have a minority of California voters subvert the elected Dem Governor, is another example of Republicans not being able to win straight up, so they resort to arcane games with election laws when they're not actively suppressing the vote.

(photo: Sarah Weingewirtz / Los Angeles Daily News)

No comments: