Sunday, October 24, 2021

Sunday Reflection: Meaning What You Say




"I have had many successes and many failures in my life. My successes have always been for different reasons, but my failures have always been for the same reason: I said yes when I meant no." -- Playwright, director and librettist Moss Hart, from his 1959 autobiography, "Act One.

Hart collaborated with George S. Kaufman on such memorable works as the Pulitzer Prize-winning "You Can't Take It With You," and "The Man Who Came To Dinner."  He also worked with composers Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, and Richard Rodgers on such musicals as "Jubilee," "As Thousands Cheer," and "I'd Rather Be Right." He later directed musicals on Broadway, including "Lady In The Dark" and "My Fair Lady," winning the Tony award for the latter. He died suddenly at the age of 57, leaving many productive years unrealized.

(photo: Moss Hart from Getty Images)

No comments: