Sunday, March 13, 2022

Sunday Reflection: The Labors Of Other Men




"A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving." --  Albert Einstein, Mein Weltbild (My Worldview), in "The World As I See It "(New York: Philosophical Library, 1949).

Regarded as the greatest scientist of the 20th century, Einstein revolutionized the understanding of the relationships between energy, matter and time. Known for his world-changing theory of relativity, he also spoke extensively on the philosophy of science, religion and the importance of imagination over knowledge. He was a passionate humanist, and was a founder of the First Humanist Society of New York. He believed, as he expressed above, that we all stand on the shoulders of our forebears and must give ourselves in the way they gave to make us what we are.

No comments: