Tuesday, March 14, 2023

QOTD -- Banks Have Feelings, Too

 

"Look, I get it, I’m a bank, and with that comes certain expectations. That I’m good with money. That I’ll protect your money. That I know what money is and how it works. But those are outdated stereotypes. Nowadays, banks can be anything, including bad with money.  [snip]

"I should get some credit for knowing my weaknesses, which are risk management, monitoring capital, tracking interest rates, and knowing numbers. The willingness to accept your weaknesses is actually a sign of strength. Any attempt to change those weaknesses would undermine me as a person. And before you say corporations are not people, then I would remind you that a little thing called Citizens United said we are.

"Haven’t we all made bad money decisions? Haven’t we all had a couple of glasses of wine, did some online shopping, and overdrawn our accounts? Haven’t we all bought stuff with credit cards and said, 'That’s not real money.' Haven’t we all wildly miscalculated our interest rate risk, wiping out our entire equity? I think we can all agree we have."  -- satirist Liz Reuss at McSweeney's, channeling a bank in "Just Because I'm a Bank, Doesn't Mean I'm Good With Money."  It's said there's a fine line between laughing and crying, and these days are proof of that.


No comments: