Sunday, November 5, 2023

Sunday Reflection: Yankee Doodle Dandy



"As a composer I could never find use for over 4 or 5 notes in any musical number, and as a playwright most of my plays have two acts because i couldn't think of an idea for the third act." -- Iconic songwriter, playwright, producer and actor George M. Cohan (7/3/1878 - 11/5/1942), considered by many to be the father of American musical comedy. Cohan always maintained that his birth record was in error and that he was born on the Fourth of July. His Broadway productions included The Talk of New York (1907), Broadway Jones (1912), The Tavern (1921), The Song and Dance Man (1923), and American Born (1925). Cohan's contributions to the Great American Songbook include “You’re a Grand Old Flag,” “Give My Regards to Broadway,” “I’m a Yankee Doodle Dandy,” and World War I's unofficial anthem “Over There", receiving a special Congressional medal for that song in 1940.

He once famously said, "I don't care what you say about me, as long as you say something about me, and as long as you spell my name right." His enormous talent ensured he never had to worry about that.

(photo: Cohan portrait by Edward Steichen, Vanity Fair photos)

 

No comments: