Sunday, September 29, 2024

Sunday Reflection

 

"Been in this game one-hundred years, but I see new ways to lose 'em I never knew existed before."

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of them."

"Managing is getting paid for home runs someone else hits."

"I feel greatly honored to have a ballpark named after me, especially since I've been thrown out of so many."

All quotes from "the ol" Perfesser" of baseball, Casey Stengel (7/30/1890 - 9/29/1975), who was a Major League Baseball player from 1912 to 1925, moving on to managing the Brooklyn Dodgers, Boston Braves, New York Yankees, and the New York Mets. His time as manager of the Yankees from 1949 -1960 was his most iconic, winning ten American League pennants and seven World Series. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1966.

As this year's regular season of baseball wraps up, and the playoffs begin, it's with some regret that managers like Stengel with their knowing quips and life experiences are harder and harder to find.


No comments: