Friday, June 25, 2010

Quote of the Day

"Look, I went into journalism to do journalism, not advertising. My views are critical but that shouldn't be mistaken for hostile - I'm just not a stenographer. There is a body of work that shows how I view these issues but that was hard-earned through experience, not something I learned going to a cocktail party on fucking K Street. That's what reporters are supposed to do, report the story." -- Michael Hastings, author of the Rolling Stone article that led to Gen. Stanley McChrystal's dismissal.

There's been some cluck-clucking among the Villagers about how this awful hippie publication could have gotten such a scoop on the "legitimate press." Easy. Rolling Stone employs journalists, not political scorekeepers interested in who's in and who's out in the Georgetown cocktail circuit frequented by media Villagers afraid of losing access to the powerful.

(h/t to the Atlantic's Andrew Sullivan)

No comments: