Saturday, April 2, 2011

Saturday Song

Singer Emmylou Harris turns a young 64 today, so we're featuring "Boulder to Birmingham" from her 1975 album, "Pieces of the Sky." The song reflected her feelings over the death of her boyfriend, rock artist Gram Parsons.
"I would rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham/I would hold my life in his saving grace/I would walk all the way from Boulder to Birmingham/If I thought I could see, I could see your face."


Harris spent her teen years in Northern Virginia, and performed at such bluegrass venues as the Birchmere and the long-gone Red Fox Inn in Bethesda, before her rise to stardom.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dined at the Red Fox Inn with a certain Hackwhacker long ago,good memories.

Hackwhackers said...

I'm glad you remember. Bluegrass is an acquired taste, and I didn't stick with it. Sadly, Old Bethesda is almost gone, along with the Red Fox.