Thursday, February 23, 2017

"A Double Life" Quote of the Day


"Scandal is saying one thing and doing another; it is a double life, a double life. A totally double life: ‘I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this association and that one; but my life is not Christian, I don’t pay my workers a just wage, I exploit people, I am dirty in my business, I launder money…’ A double life. And so many Christians are like this, and these people scandalize others." (emphasis added) -- Pope Francis, in a homily delivered this morning. Religious hypocrites populate not just Catholicism, but all of Christianity, especially that subset of right-wing evangelical Elmer Gantrys that infest the airwaves and mega-churches, such as the right-wing purveyors of the "prosperity gospel".

The Catholic Church has made progress under this Pope in addressing economic and social injustice, poverty and inequality. Many in his Church -- from Cardinal to parishioner -- still aren't minding his words, and probably never will because the "double life" suits them just fine.

No comments: