Friday, December 28, 2018

Weekend Music Bonanza


The '50s and '60s were the Golden Age of TV Westerns (or "oaters"), with 30 of them airing in prime time by 1959.  To us, the title songs often provide some of the more enduring memories of those programs, whether we saw them when they first aired or later in re- runs.  That's because the producers often hired the best songwriting talent from movies to "brand" their show. We've chosen a few examples of what we think are some of the best intros/ credits music from that era.  Saddle up!

The Virginian (composer Percy Faith)

Rawhide (Dmitri Tiomkin)

Wagon Train (Jerome Moross)

Bonanza (Jay Livingston)

The Roy Rogers Show, "Happy Trails" (Dale Evans)









3 comments:

donnah said...

I love old Westerns! I am a huge fan of the Rifleman. Since we got MeTV, I've watched it at every opportunity, seeing every episode of every season multiple times. It was a Western show with heart. Interestingly, Sam Peckinpah wrote a few of the earliest episodes, but didn't like the softer father/son tone the show took. But that's what I love about it most!

As for theme music, Wagon Train's is really good. And I enjoy the show as well. I like the music to the Big Valley, too, and Maverick, which is catchy and fits the witty nature of that show.

Thanks foor the nice change of pace!

FelineMama said...

Ditto what donnah said. I grew up with these. My dad loved his westerns. After an evening of Wagon Train, you could NOT get that tune out of your head! Until the next one. A little off topic, I've been watching re-runs of Perry Mason & that theme will NOT get outta my mind. Good thing I like it!!
"Tanks for the memories", guys!

W. Hackwhacker said...

donnah and FM- you're welcome! Glad they struck a chord!