Sunday, June 30, 2019

"Abe vs. Trump: Who Said It Better?"




Something you'll not find easily in the "democracy dies in darkness" Washington Post on- line edition (the print version is in the "Outlook" section on B3) is this Lincoln vs. Trump comparison on certain topics. Of course, no big surprises here;  the contrast is self- evident.

The comparison is by Ted Widmer, a distinguished lecturer at the Macaulay Honors College of the City University of New York.  These are just a few examples of how far we've fallen:

Education

When I came of age I did not know much. Still somehow, I could read, write, and cipher to the Rule of Three; but that was all – I have not been to school since – The little advance I now have upon this store of education, I have picked up from time to time under the pressure of necessity.
Autobiographical sketch, Dec. 20, 1859
I went to an Ivy League college. I was a nice student. I did very well. I’m a very intelligent person.
Remarks to press, Oct. 25, 2017
*  *  *

Modesty

Though the people have made me, by electing me, the instrument to carry out the wishes expressed in the address, I greatly fear that I shall not be the repository of the ability to do so. Indeed I know I shall not, more than in purpose, unless sustained by the great body of the people, and by the Divine Power, without whose aid we can do nothing.
Speech at Steubenville, Ohio, Feb. 14, 1861
I’ve done more in 500 days than any president has ever done in their first 500 days. There is nobody close and that’s not, that’s a lot of people saying that. That’s people that would rather not say it are saying it, and I really think that we’re going to do very good.
On Fox News, June 13, 2018

The Civil War

Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive; and the other would accept war rather than let it perish.
Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865
People don’t realize, you know, the Civil War, if you think about it, why? People don’t ask that question, but why was there the Civil War? Why could that one not have been worked out?
Media interview, April 30, 2017
*  *  *

Immigration, Part 1

I regard our emigrants [immigrants] as one of the principal replenishing streams.
Annual message to Congress, Dec. 6, 1864
Why are we having all these people from shithole countries come here?
Oval Office, Jan. 11, 2018

You get the idea.  Amusing, sad and disturbing all at the same time -- much like the times we're living in.

(Image:  Theo Moudakis, Toronto Star)

3 comments:

FelineMama said...

All of Idiot Boy's comments sorta shoots holes, Bigly, in that "I'm a very intelligent person" comment,"don-it"! He's not just a normal intelligent person, but, a "Very" intelligent one.
What an ASS!!!

W. Hackwhacker said...

FM -- there's hardly a worse person on the face of the earth to be president. It's as if a big portion of this country had a death wish.

FelineMama said...

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!