Sunday, September 24, 2023

Sunday Reflection

 


 

"When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for having been there." -- puppeteer (and so much more) Jim Henson, born on this day in 1936.  Henson certainly made a difference in the world, bringing so much joy to millions most notably through his Muppets projects, including Sesame Street and multiple movies and collaborations.  We remember his work from his earliest days in local television in the Washington, DC, area, where he began forming his puppet characters and creating commercials for local companies like Wilkins Coffee (with puppets Wilkins and Wontkins) But perhaps his greatest, long- lasting achievement was his involvement in the creation and production of the beloved Sesame Street, now running for 53 seasons, providing early childhood education and lessons in life for generations of Americans (including some parents who watched along with their kids!).  If you've ever watched Sesame Street over the years, you know the difference that Henson made certainly left the world a little better, something to which we should all aspire.


2 comments:

Cleora Borealis said...

I was in 8th grade when Sesame Street started and all through high school, on any day without extracurricular activities, I rushed home to enjoy it! Grover was my favorite muppet and I still have a soft spot for the number 12! I'm nearly 69 years old and I have a Super Grover doll flying from my car's rearview mirror! Lasting effect? You betcha!!

W. Hackwhacker said...

Cleora -- well said. Thanks!