Thursday, December 18, 2014
A Look Into The Not-So-Distant Past
Just to recap:
1. 321,000 jobs were added in November, the most in over 3 years and the 50th straight month of job growth.
2. Approximately 5,000,000 undocumented immigrants were spared deportation by Presidential executive order, acting as Republicans refused to pass immigration reform legislation.
3. China and the U.S. came to an historic climate agreement affecting carbon dioxide emissions.
4. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare"), we've reached historic lows in the percentage of uninsured Americans, ongoing HealthCare.gov web site enrollments are providing millions with affordable health insurance coverage, and more Republican governors are yielding to political pressure to expand Medicaid in their states (shhh - don't anybody call it Obamacare, though!).
5. After pursuing a failed policy for over 50 years, the U.S. and Cuba are going to establish normal diplomatic relations.
6. The authoritarian that makes rightwing Republicans plotz, Russian President Vladimir "Vlad the Invader" Putin is watching the Russian ruble and economy implode due to falling oil prices and the bite of sanctions orchestrated by that weak (but tyrannical!) President Obama himself.
All of this is keeping the Republicans off-balance and very angry. So, let's keep pushing on our economic issues (equal pay, raising the minimum wage, middle class relief, income inequality, etc.) and see if their tiny heads explode.