Sunday, May 3, 2020

Sunday Reflection: Pete Seeger



"I love my country very dearly, and I greatly resent the implication that some of the places that I have sung and some of the people that I have known, and some of my opinions, whether they are religious or philosophical, make me less of an American." -- singer, songwriter, activist Pete Seeger, born this day in 1919, was a relentless champion of civil rights, worker rights, peace, and music as a healing and enlightening force. Both as a solo artist and a member of the seminal folk group The Weavers, Seeger focused much of his attention of environmental issues, including his beloved Hudson River, later in life. A prolific songwriter, Seeger wrote such classics as "Where Have All The Flowers Gone," "If I Had A Hammer," "Little Boxes," "Turn, Turn, Turn," and many others.

(photo: Roger Ressmeyer / Corbis)

No comments: