Thursday, May 7, 2020

Unemployment Claims Rise By 3 Million


Today's jobless report3.1 million more Americans filed for unemployment benefits in the past week, bringing the running total since the beginning of the bungled response to the COVID-19 pandemic to 33 million.  And that likely doesn't tell the whole story:
In an interview with Savannah Guthrie on NBC's "TODAY" show Thursday morning, President of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, Neel Kashkari, said Friday's official unemployment rate "will probably be something like 16 or 17 percent — but it will understate how bad the damage has been. I think the real number is probably around 23 or 24 percent. It's devastating."
Had we had decisive leadership and science- driven action at the national level when the health experts and intelligence community were warning of the pandemic, there's no doubt this "American carnage" would have been mitigated, along with the appalling death count that's now, at the very minimum, 75,000 -- and expected to rise with ill- advised "re- openings" pushed by the Trump regime.

4 comments:

donnah said...

I've mentioned before that I'm a very small self-employed fish in a very small artist pond, but I work hard and pay taxes. I teach workshops all over the country and I try to be a creative force for good. So I applied for two small business loans and am still holding my breath. And my husband and I have still not received the stimulus money.

I get totally that lots of us are facing dire straits. My husband is still working from home, but my income is important to us staying afloat. But we'll tough it out and stay at home as much as possible. We can't afford to pass along the virus to either of our older moms, and that is more important than money right now.

So, hanging in, fingers crossed for help! We're not freeloaders and we deserve a helping hand.

donnah said...

Also, if I may, here's a link to one of my hooked art rugs:

https://imgur.com/gallery/nXTMDxW

W. Hackwhacker said...

donnah -- good luck on the loans and on the stimulus money (on the latter, mine hasn't arrived either that I know of). The craftsmanship on the rug is impressive and subject matter is moving. No wonder you can teach others!

donnah said...

Thanks! Good luck to you, too!