Friday, January 13, 2023

QOTD: "Walking At A Leisurely Pace"




Former Assistant Federal District Attorney for the District of Columbia Glenn Kirschner, on MSNBC discussing the comparative pace of the classified documents cases of the Malignant Loser and President Biden, and how Attorney General Merrick Garland has handled them:

"So it's tough for me to explain the inexplicable, but let me let me give it a shot because I do believe that Merrick Garland is guided by his own sense of ethics and his own determination to preserve the institution, for better or worse. And so I think he bends over backwards.

I agree we heard about this special counsel, special counsel appointment for the Joe Biden documents, circumstances at lightspeed, and so I think we're kind of mixing apples and oranges there on the timing front.

But I really think the question that is bothering me most right now, is why did it take Jack Smith's appointment on November 18 to all of a sudden see this increase in the pace and the scope of an investigation that should have been up and running at a full sprint? Ever since, I maintain, right after the insurrection, and it sure doesn't feel like Merrick Garland was sprinting toward the finish line.

It feels to me like he was walking at a leisurely pace at a time in our nation's history when we needed a flat out sprint, because I think he was old school in his approach to this investigation, handling it the way we ordinarily handle pyramid conspiracies, but this is not a pyramid conspiracy. I maintain it's not even a hub and spoke conspiracy. We should call it an octopus conspiracy with all of the tentacles that are splaying out and thrashing about."  (our emphasis)

That's not to excuse the boneheaded, unforced error that's been handed on a platter to deceitful right-wingers who were looking for another direct line of attack on Biden. This revelation is a double dip, since it also serves to muddy the situation around the more egregious documents scandal of the Malignant Loser, and allows right wingers to play the "what about" game. Heading into two years of Rep. "Gym" Jordan and his insurrectionist ilk holding committee chair gavels and subpoena power, the timing couldn't have been worse.

(photo: Garland names Special Counsel for Biden docs/ Chip Somodevilla,  Getty Images)

 

No comments: